Thursday, May 28, 2009

Choco

The last two days have been complete chaos. We were able to bring Rolo home on Tuesday and all was well in the world, or so we thought. Tuesday night as we were going to bed we noticed that Choco is not acting like his snuggly self. Shawn and I both looked at each other and feared the worst...Parvo. Choco ended up vomiting a couple of times during the night so Shawn called Arizona Animal Wellness Center 1st thing in the morning and they got him in and confirmed that Choco was indeed sick with parvo :( Now do not get me wrong, our vet is THE BEST!!! But since we had not even had Rolo home for 24 hrs the vet bill was about to double and the initial $1500 bill was already hard enough to absorb so they kindly asked if we would like to try and treat him at home for a quarter of the cost. They taught us how to administer his IV fluids and antibiotic injections and the couple of oral medications that he would need. It is kind of funny but its not considering that both Shawn and I do not deal with with needles. I do better than Shawn (or so I thought) from having to give myself daily injections- but the needle I use is extremely fine and ridiculously easy to handle. While the vet tech was showing us how to inject the IV I decided that I needed to let Shawn hold my poor Choco so I wouldnt pass out and embarass him :) Thankfully Shawn did a great job and didnt bust a (cold) sweat or freak out. We managed quite well and successfully with his IV and injections last night and tonight. Hopefully Choco will be feeling better tomorrow, otherwise we may have to admit him if he is not showing signs of improvement.
Our good friend Jody underwent an emergency appendectomy today- thank heavens he is now resting and feeling well enough to send out a text stating- DONE! Like he just won a tire changing contest or something :)
I am so grateful tomorrow is Friday!!

2 comments:

Sarah Smith said...

Holy Moly!! That's so crazy i am glad you got RowRow home I'll be sure to let Kashy know. I am sorry to hear about Choco!!! That Sucks!! We miss you both and wish you the best with the pups. Tell Jody we are glad to hear that he is doing fine. Sarah

FiestyShamrock said...

How bout you stop off in AZ on your way to OK?!?!? We miss yall like crazy!